You may have noticed that one of my favorite things to do is to visit home design stores while I'm on business travel. Well, this time a business trip to Norfolk found me going home via(*or out of the way 175 miles as my husband pointed out) to Farmville (no luck with my table quest at Green Front) and then to Charlottesville, VA - the home of And George. This store has been featured in many magazines - here's a photo of the inspiration board in the store highlighting just a few.

And George carries wonderful furnishings and some of the most unique accessories. I purchased a beautiful vintage Italian compote bowl with a blue/gray transferware pattern featuring one of my favorite things - birds! I'll post more about that in the next week or so.

Love this carved Crowned Crane - the wood is very interesting - a velvety, soft texture. Notice the vintage books - they are covered in reproduction 18th century documents.
This idea could be replicated at home - cover old books in photocopies of copyright free vintage documents you can print off the internet. Or pen a favorite poem in cursive and photocopy it onto interesting paper - Emily Dickinson anyone? "A bird came down the walk, He did not know I saw -" (click on the line if you'd like to read the rest of this poem)


Another great bird.






Vintage dominos in a silver footed bowl. They happen to be next to a terrific book - Comfortable & Joyous Homes by Cris Briger and Paul Briger.



And if you're wondering who George is - here is is, all fine and daper. (image via And George)


Green Front - Farmville, VA

I also stopped in Green Front. Since Green Front is comprised of 12 old brick warehouses converted into a mini-home furnishings empire, I needed to make a pact with myself before exiting the car.

You see, I am beginning to recognize the signs of my addiction. Considering I have a master's degree in Counseling and in a former life I worked in the field of short-term therapy, I am late to this diagnosis. Before exiting the car I vowed - only 2 photos! Otherwise, I could have spent the entire day there, as opposed to half the day. Because of course, setting limits on an addiction is the first step to...This couch, with its colored stripes, caught my eye.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top