I've often admired people who have the foresight to repurpose a building from it's original use and turn it into something new and wonderful. I was very excited to receive an email from a reader who has renovated a 175 year old church in Upperville, VA - transforming it into a beautiful home furnishings & garden shop and interior design studio.

The proprietor, Wanda Crossley, previously owned English Manor Gardens & Interiors in Leesburg VA, which I posted about here. Her new venture is Matthews House and Garden - Isn't the setting spectacular? Love the formal gardens in what was a former churchyard.


The scale of this building with the charming white post fence is so pleasing to the eye.
The interiors are light filled and provide a perfect backdrop for these wonderful interior vignettes. Love the statuary urn on the pine pedestal and the rough hewn table set with china. Such a unique door - the oval inset at the top is a real stand out.
I can see from scanning this picture that I must put Matthews House and Garden on my must-visit list. Located at 9160 John Mosby Hwy in Upperville, VA (540.592.7147) the hours are Tue- Sat 10 to 5, closed on Sunday, and Monday by chance (love that!)
Notice the painting to the left - love the moody image. To me it's reminiscent of the English countryside.
Gorgeous selection of colorful pillows on this daybed.
Here are a few more interior pics. For some reason I had trouble enlarging these. I think the first picture proves that Sunburst mirrors will always be in - especially when placed in such a perfect position as this one.
The following pictures give you an idea of all the hard work and good judgment that went into redesigning this former church. Allelujah for the liberation from this dropped ceiling!

Wanda - thanks so much for reading this blog and for taking the time to send in these pictures. I hope to visit in person someday!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top