Not only did it take me a long time to finish this table, it took me just as long to post about it. You may remember back in early October I bought this great 3 tiered table for $10 at a yard sale. Instead of just painting it Farrow & Ball's Shaded White, I decided to paper it with marbled paper by Renato Crepaldi from Paper Mojo. As you can see, I didn't use a very exacting method to cut the paper.
...this pic reminds me of the great weather we had this fall.Here's the finished table. Since I was just slightly shy of having enough to cover the entire top, I trimmed it with gray ribbon. Each layer of paper was "glued" down by using Artists Acrylic Medium - which is somewhat thinner than Modge Podge and used by collage artists. I have no words of wisdom as that whole process did not go well. The paper was so large that it would catch, wrinkle and come close to tearing. After it was all saturated, I had to cover it with a plastic bag and stack it with books in order to squish the paper flat! Because I was concerned about the state of the paper, I bought a piece of acrylic from American Frame to cover and protect the top. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't glued the paper to the top and just placed it under the acrylic. I skipped polyurethaning the other 2 shelves as the acrylic medium has properties that protect the paper from average use.
Here's a blurry pic showing the wrinkling. It's not real obvious to anyone looking but, of course, I know it's there.
A closer shot showing the ribbon trim.
Here it is as my bedside table (sorry no natural light when I took this photo.)

Cost:

Table - $10
Marbled Paper - $45
Acrylic piece for top - $ 13

Total: $63

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top