When Linda of Calling it Home and the creator of the fab One Room Challenge invited me to participate, I was thrilled (thank you Linda!) and knew exactly the room I had to focus on .  You see, the last time I mentioned my dining room was in January when I posted about changing it from Benjamin Moore North Creek Brown to Farrow & Ball Calke Green.  (Jennifer of The Pink Pagoda created that terrific banner.)


Well, I did finish painting but that was about it.   Curtainless, disjointed and kinda sad, it's been languishing ever since and I've conveniently never brought it up again these last 9 months, until now. So here's hoping the One Room Challenge becomes my Dining Room Rescue!

THE OVERVIEW:

The dining room is off our kitchen.  It's formerly the carport and is one step down from the kitchen. This window looks out into the front yard.



Above is the view from the window back through to the kitchen and into the family room, which is also a room we added to the house.


Here's the view from the side yard through the french doors.  Years ago I tacked on a mantle to the brick wall.  The real fireplace is on the other side in the living room.  I know you know this but I just have to be on the record - the mantle and the stuff on it is looking pretty lame!

Below is the view from the dining room out to the side yard.  This room feels connected to the outdoors so I'm hoping to have time to do something with the view too.


INSPIRATION:

In the past, this room has been a den and an office.  Now, I'd like it to function as a library/dining room.  I'm interested in a transitional look that's just a bit formal but not overly serious.  Here's some snippets from my pinterest One Room Challenge board to give a sense of the look and feel I'm after.







THE PLAN:

This room is in need of cohesive elements that pull it all together and create that library/dining room feel I'm after.  I want it to be an interesting space that is also a comfortable and practical place to eat daily meals.  (We have a breakfast counter in our kitchen but this room is truly our dining area)

Some things on the checklist for the next 6 weeks:

- A furniture plan  (dealing with the different chairs, making the desk work, bringing in a buffet or server)
- Refinishing the furniture  (the tablecloth is hiding a lot....)
- Drapes
- Artwork
- Lighting
- The Floors (I'm leaning towards painting the floors white.)
- Styling of the bookcases

Oh, about the ceiling fan.  It's really needed in the summer so it's staying. I know...

So, what do you think?  I'd love to hear your thoughts and hope you'll follow along in the next few weeks!

Be sure to also check out all the other 19 bloggers in the One Room Challenge. Every Wednesday for 6 weeks there will be a new post, culminating in a final reveal.  Can't wait to see what they're up to!

Calling it Home
Chinoiserie Chic
Classic Casual Home
Cottage and Vine
Design Addict Mom
Design Crisis
Design Indulgence
Design Manifest
The English Room
The Green Room Interiors
Henhurst Interiors
Little Black Door
Maddie's Nest
Mix And Chic
Pawleys Island Posh
The Pink Pagoda
Shelter
Simple Details
The Vault Files

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top